Baby and six people rescued from New Malden fire
By adam_leone | Tuesday, February 05, 2013, 10:00
A baby along with three men and three women have had to be rescued after a fire broke out on Coombefield Close in New Malden this morning.
It's believed the fire started after an old heater fell over.
One woman suffered minor burns on her arm, with the others being taken to hospital for smoke inhalation.
More than four fire engines and 20 firefighters from across the borough were called to the scene.
Watch Manager Steve Preston from New Malden fire station, who was at the scene, said: "You should always put halogen heaters in a place where they can't be knocked over.
"It's important to place them away from beds and furniture."
The occupants of the house didn't have a smoke alarm installed.
Mr Preston added: "Smoke alarms will alert you to a fire quickly, giving you time to get out of your home and call the Brigade."
"If you don't have a smoke alarm, you can request a home fire safety visit, where firefighters will come to your home, talk to you about fire safety, and fit a smoke alarm where necessary."
The Fire Brigade have also released this video to warn people of the dangers of fires caused by heating. www.london-fire.gov.uk/HeatingAndFire.asp